Stormwater Management and Flooding Mitigation
In July 2019, the Borough completed a comprehensive Stormwater report regarding the unnamed tributary that flows from the community park area through town and discharges in the Connoquenessing Creek. This tributary was the focus of the flooding problem that we experienced this year. The results of the study were in some respects very revealing and we adjusted our stormwater plans accordingly to take this information and the situation into account.
The plan was redone, in part, to do the following:
- Remove Tree obstructions that have fallen in the stream (Completed)
- Identify the private property obstructions in the stream and notify property owners to be aware and remove them. (In process)
- Plan for a large Stormwater retention facility above the park property to hold back water. (In process to allow for permitting applications and funding acquisition)
- Discussion with PennDOT as a possible partner for stormwater controls (Meeting held, and good discussions ensued)
- Linden Street Culvert replacement is planned (Will be budgeted in 2020)
- There are additional stormwater upgrades identified and will be budgeted as is possible in the future.
In addition, the borough administration is a willing participant in regional stormwater management discussions with future planning as a goal. These discussions have begun and will continue to take place to insure we have a regional approach to stormwater management.
Stormwater management and flooding mitigation are a critical concern for the borough, and we will continue to do our best to provide a safe community for our residents and businesses.View Proposed Stormwater Improvement Plan